I would like to buy a used Audi - what next?
Kari Walters
2009-02-03 16:16:42 UTC
Hello all,

I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months - something in the
under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.

Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many used
luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past months. That's
good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would like to
own an Audi.

I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a 2000 -2003
A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine, automatic.

I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially living in the
beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at driving a stick
shift and would prefer an auto.

From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and I think I can
get something with less than 80,000 miles in the range of a 2002 or 2003 under 10k.

I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines or
transmissions to definitely steer clear of. Also, since I'll be purchasing somewhere
in the Pittsburgh/Altoona area of Pennsylvania (rust belt), are there certain models
or body styles prone to rust? Does the exhaust system rust?

I will certainly take the car to a mechanic before purchase but would like to know
if it's all right to take an Audi to a less costly general services mechanic? or is
it better to pay the higher cost of an Audi dealer mechanic?

Any information or opinions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance and GO STEELERS!!!

Kari
Steve Daniels
2009-02-04 03:37:19 UTC
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:16:42 -0500, against all advice, something
Post by Kari Walters
Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many used
luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past months. That's
good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would like to
own an Audi.
And I'd like to fuck Christy Brinkley, but that isn't going to
happen either. Can you get an Audi for ten grand or less? Sure.
Should you? No.

Get a five thousand dollar Toyota. It will run with little
trouble for a long time. When you are no longer a college
student on a budget, you can get an Audi.

Pay your dues. The rest of us did.
Real men don't text.
Kevin McMurtrie
2009-02-04 05:16:51 UTC
Post by Kari Walters
Hello all,
I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months - something in the
under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.
Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many used
luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past months. That's
good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would like to
own an Audi.
A small Audi eats about $0.14 per mile for gas, oil, and tires.
I will not see your reply if you use Google.
Ten Pin Bowling
2009-02-04 06:19:07 UTC
Post by Kari Walters
Hello all,
I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months - something in the
under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.
Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many used
luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past months. That's
good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would like to
own an Audi.
I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a 2000 -2003
A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine, automatic.
I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially living in the
beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at driving a stick
shift and would prefer an auto.
From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and I think I can
get something with less than 80,000 miles in the range of a 2002 or 2003 under 10k.
I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines or
transmissions to definitely steer clear of. Also, since I'll be purchasing somewhere
in the Pittsburgh/Altoona area of Pennsylvania (rust belt), are there certain models
or body styles prone to rust? Does the exhaust system rust?
I will certainly take the car to a mechanic before purchase but would like to know
if it's all right to take an Audi to a less costly general services mechanic? or is
it better to pay the higher cost of an Audi dealer mechanic?
Any information or opinions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you in advance and GO STEELERS!!!
Kari
I think I can answer a few bits.

My 97 A4 V6 2.4 at 93K miles has no signs of rust, top or bottom, and is
still running on the original exhaust system. I am sure the UK weather is
one of the most variable in the world from hot (short periods) to
cold/wet/damp so it has undergone a very intensive environmental test. It is
also out in the elements 24/7. I always look at other similar Audi's, out of
curiosity, and can honestly say I have never seen one with a rust problem.

This said, if you live in an area where salts are regularly spread on the
roads then you may find rusty models about.

Find a good third party mechanic, preferably ex Audi/Merc/BMW. You will pay
through the nose going to a dealership....they have greater overheads to pay
for and therefore charge more.

If you are buying a high miler, make sure it has had a documented major
cam/timing belt operation, not just a verbal 'yes sir/madam, it has'.

A recent new front bearings change has transformed mine into a new car.....
MasterBlaster
2009-02-04 06:49:52 UTC
Post by Kari Walters
I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a 2000 -2003
A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine, automatic.
I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines or
transmissions to definitely steer clear of.
A4 2.8 Quattro auto trans is "officially" 11 hours to get out and back in. It took us longer.
S4 4.2 water-cooled! alternator requires the front of the car to come off to change it.
How much does your local shop charge per hour?
dave AKA vwdoc1
2009-02-04 00:06:13 UTC
Hmmm
JMHO
College Student + Budget = should save some $$$ for maintenance.
Don't go for the exotic Audis since some components are not cheap to
replace!

Look for bad components or change intervals especially with these parts:
Suspension
Timing Belts
Find an Audi mechanic that you can trust! Join some Audi groups and ask
around for recommendations and advice BEFORE buying your Audi. ;-)

What do you want exactly?
The A4 1.8t will give you a good, not hard/expensive to maintain vehicle.
You can easily modify it for more power but I am not sure how the automatic
transmissions will hold up to twice the power.
I would have preferred a manual transmission on my '97 A4 1.8tq but I be
lazy with the automatic.
Mine rides very well on the road,but the rear seat is tiny.
Some say that the earlier 1.8t engines can be modified for more power easier
than the later the 1.8t. The later 1.8t might be more economical and give
better throttle response in stock form.

The A6 reminds me of my A4 but it feels much larger on the inside. My next
Audi will probably be an A6. ;-)
The V6 engine is not that easy to modify for more power.....or I should say
that it costs a LOT of money to get more power out of it. Smooth engine
though!

The trim on my A4 doors rust out but the body should withstand your
rust-belt area. ;-)

IF it is just you and you wanna have fun then get an A4 1.8tq.
IF you plan on hauling a family around then you may want an A6.

JMHOs
--
later,
(One out of many daves)
Post by Kari Walters
Hello all,
I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months - something in the
under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.
Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many used
luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past months. That's
good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would like to
own an Audi.
I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a 2000 -2003
A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine, automatic.
I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially living in the
beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at driving a stick
shift and would prefer an auto.
From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and I think I can
Kari
Kari Walters
2009-02-04 19:21:09 UTC
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:16:42 -0500, Kari Walters <***@nowhere.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

First, thanx for all the responses. Sheesh! I really hadn't thought that much about
the upkeep and maintenance of Audi, German engineering and all.

I'm going to research the maintenance requirements and reliability of the different
Audi models I've been considering, and then make a more informed decision. I may
just end up with another Accord though. Mine hasn't broken in over 4 years.

Thanks again,
Kari
iws
2009-02-05 02:30:29 UTC
"Kari Walters" <***@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
| Hello all,
|
| I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months - something
in the
| under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.
|
| Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for many
used
| luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past
months. That's
| good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally would
like to
| own an Audi.
|
| I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a
2000 -2003
| A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine,
automatic.

| I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially
living in the
| beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at
driving a stick
| shift and would prefer an auto.
|
| From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and I
think I can
| get something with less than 80,000 miles in the range of a 2002 or 2003
under 10k.

| I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines or
| transmissions to definitely steer clear of. Also, since I'll be purchasing
somewhere
| in the Pittsburgh/Altoona area of Pennsylvania (rust belt), are there
certain models
| or body styles prone to rust? Does the exhaust system rust?
|
| I will certainly take the car to a mechanic before purchase but would like
to know
| if it's all right to take an Audi to a less costly general services
mechanic? or is
| it better to pay the higher cost of an Audi dealer mechanic?
|
| Any information or opinions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!
|
| Thank you in advance and GO STEELERS!!!
|
| Kari

Here are some items to look for:
oil leaks especially on the V6 = several hundreds of $
timing belt change is expensive ($800+) and is recommended every 70 to
80,000 miles
front suspension components wear out and are costly to repair = several
hundreds of $
brake rotors are usually replaced along with pads = $250/wheel if you
don't do it yourself
expensive cooling system parts failure that my Audi mechanic blames on
the pink antifreeze
oil sludge problem on A4 four cylinder engines = major engine overhaul.
Google it for info.

Fortunately, most of these items can be checked out by a competent Audi
mechanic before you buy the car. If your budget can't stand an unanticipated
$1000 repair/maintenance item, you should consider something other than a
used Audi.
Ronny
2009-02-09 19:55:19 UTC
Post by iws
> [...]
|
| Kari
oil leaks especially on the V6 = several hundreds of $
timing belt change is expensive ($800+) and is recommended every 70 to
80,000 miles
front suspension components wear out and are costly to repair = several
hundreds of $
brake rotors are usually replaced along with pads = $250/wheel if you
don't do it yourself
expensive cooling system parts failure that my Audi mechanic blames on
the pink antifreeze
oil sludge problem on A4 four cylinder engines = major engine overhaul.
Google it for info.
Fortunately, most of these items can be checked out by a competent Audi
mechanic before you buy the car. If your budget can't stand an
unanticipated
$1000 repair/maintenance item, you should consider something other than a
Ok I am going to say all or non of the above posts are correct, here is my
experience of owning a used Audi...

I always buy mine with 80k miles + on them, I am currently sitting on 200k
miles on a 1.8T 2003 a4 quattro, the car never really gets serviced on time,
I used both mix of oil mineral and synthetic whatever is cheapest in the
garage as I pass and need to top up. I have had 2 timing belts fitted.

Oil sludge must be an american thing, it does not happen over here <uk> and
we use all types of oils, I have seen a few posts on forums about it but
nothing serious, coil packs were a problem but not for me, I normally
serivce it myself costs about £60/$100 for everything including pollen
filter.

Stay away from pre 2001 models, they eat bearings and front arms, my old
1997 2.6Q used to kill bearings on 18 inch rims, my 2003 has had 18's and I
have not heard a peep from them. No creaks or moans either. if you go for a
1.8t make sure you get the 6 speed version the 5 speed is far too high
geared, if you go tip or auto then you don't have this to worry about
anyway.
Some other good points you won't get on many other cars, doors sound nice
when closed, one of the best interiors and hard wearing except for the power
window switches. You won't find any rust on a MY2001+ they are very well
galvenised, also the quattro is bullet proof. Stereo is amazing, don't
bother with BOSE stick with standard you wont regret it, 10 speakers and sub
as standard.

If you drive it like you stole it it will last 10 mins, if you take care of
your Audi it will last forever, it will cost very little to maintain and
give you years of enjoyment. I never rant the tits off mine, always change
gear below 4k revs and stick to motorways 90% of the time, I have not even
changed a set of brake pads in 100k miles.

Some bad points i have noticed, back seat of drivers side due to the auto
adjust seems to pop the card off, happens on 90% of them, glue it back on
best way :) oil leaks are pretty common on A4's, the gaskets tend to get
brittle or poor cambelt installation causes slight leaks, mine has seeped
slightly for 50k miles but still drives like new.

I have also never changed and exhaust on an Audi I have owned. So what's
stopping you buying one???
iws
2009-02-09 20:45:59 UTC
"Ronny" <***@123.com> wrote in message news:JS%jl.38186$***@newsfe09.ams2...

| "iws" <***@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > "Kari Walters" <***@nowhere.net> wrote in message
| > | Hello all,
| > |
| > | I have been looking for a used Audi now for about nine months -
| > something
| > in the
| > | under $10k range - and viola!, came across this newsgroup.
| > |
| > | Since the economy (U.S.) has been so bad, I've notice that prices for
| > many
| > used
| > | luxury cars, like the Audi's, have dropped significantly in the past
| > months. That's
| > | good for me because I'm a college student on a budget and reeeeally
| > would
| > like to
| > | own an Audi.
| > |
| > | I'm asking for some opinions and direction. I would like to find a
| > 2000 -2003
| > | A4/S4/A6 Quatro Sedan w/ 1.8T or 2.8 (A4) or 2.7T/2.8/3.0 (A6) engine,
| > automatic.
| > |
| > | I have driven enough used Audis to know that AWD is a must, especially
| > living in the
| > | beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter. I'm not great at
| > driving a stick
| > | shift and would prefer an auto.
| > |
| > | From my searching so far I've seen prices getting lower and lower and
| > think I can
| > | get something with less than 80,000 miles in the range of a 2002 or
2003
| > under 10k.
| > |
| > | I'd really like to know your opinions for any years, models, engines
or
| > | transmissions to definitely steer clear of. Also, since I'll be
| > purchasing
| > somewhere
| > | in the Pittsburgh/Altoona area of Pennsylvania (rust belt), are there
| > certain models
| > | or body styles prone to rust? Does the exhaust system rust?
| > |
| > | I will certainly take the car to a mechanic before purchase but would
| > like
| > to know
| > | if it's all right to take an Audi to a less costly general services
| > mechanic? or is
| > | it better to pay the higher cost of an Audi dealer mechanic?
| > |
| > | Any information or opinions you can provide will be greatly
| > appreciated!!!
| > |
> [...]
sub
| as standard.
|
| If you drive it like you stole it it will last 10 mins, if you take care
of
| your Audi it will last forever, it will cost very little to maintain and
| give you years of enjoyment. I never rant the tits off mine, always change
| gear below 4k revs and stick to motorways 90% of the time, I have not even
| changed a set of brake pads in 100k miles.
|
| Some bad points i have noticed, back seat of drivers side due to the auto
| adjust seems to pop the card off, happens on 90% of them, glue it back on
| best way :) oil leaks are pretty common on A4's, the gaskets tend to get
| brittle or poor cambelt installation causes slight leaks, mine has seeped
| slightly for 50k miles but still drives like new.
|
| I have also never changed and exhaust on an Audi I have owned. So what's

With the exception of the oil sludge problem (more 1.8T related) and for
which Audi recognized a problem and extended the warranty, every item I
mentioned has been problematic on my 1998 A4 and I don't drive mine
particularly hard. I didn't mention the defective clutch components and
ventilation fan which were replaced under warranty.
Ronny
2009-02-09 21:31:51 UTC
Post by iws

With the exception of the oil sludge problem (more 1.8T related) and for
which Audi recognized a problem and extended the warranty, every item I
mentioned has been problematic on my 1998 A4 and I don't drive mine
particularly hard. I didn't mention the defective clutch components and
ventilation fan which were replaced under warranty.
That was an Audi of America problem though, no such problems this side of
the water.

And yes pre 2001 Audi's were much more problematic then the newer B6 models.
Kari Mannermaa
2009-02-10 19:29:36 UTC
Post by Ronny
Post by iws

With the exception of the oil sludge problem (more 1.8T related) and for
which Audi recognized a problem and extended the warranty, every item I
mentioned has been problematic on my 1998 A4 and I don't drive mine
particularly hard. I didn't mention the defective clutch components and
ventilation fan which were replaced under warranty.
That was an Audi of America problem though, no such problems this side of
the water.
And yes pre 2001 Audi's were much more problematic then the newer B6 models.
Not all of them ;-)

1989 Audi 80 1.8S
550 000 km (about 340 000 miles)
Still no problems with the engine. Had to change the gearbox (manual) couple
years ago. Had noisy bearings, nothing worse, still worked OK.
Still complete original exhaust, really the hole pipe!
Not any remarkable rust damages.

Have replaced springs, struts, brake disks & drums, outer CV joints, valve
stem seals etc.

And this is in Finland. We still have real winters but not so cold anymore,
thanks the global climate change. That means half of thea year heavily
salted roads.

IŽve had this car now 9 years, half of the mileage during this time. WorkŽs
fine in everyday use, about 30 000 km / year. But here in the north we use
quite much only hi-quality oils wich means full-synthetic multigrade oil.

KMa
jakemandue
2009-03-03 16:24:45 UTC
i was pissed when i bought my 02 a6 in 2005 with 60k, the timing bel
went out and cost me 8k usd to get the engine rebuilt, other than that
the only problem i have had was a camshaft position sensor to replace..
50 bucks, and now at 113k the rear breaks finally need replaced. My ca
runs 10w40 synthetic, and i change it every 7 to 9 thousand miles.
pretty good car except for the timing belt problem i had on i

--
jakemandu
jakemandue's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=871